Communications and Technology committee is developing a new member services website that will go into service for the March registration period. The website will go into service without member services for the December registration period. We are far enough along that members are welcome to visit and look around.
The new system offers a number of advantages.
- A single sign-in allows access to members only content and to membership renewal and registration services.
- The new system has a proper password recovery procedure.
- The new system has a nice page layout manager and ability to include dynamic content in pages.
- The new system supports blogs and forums. We use blogs for announcements and forums for committee discussions.
- The new system has robust membership and event purchase logic.
- The new system supports members only content.
- The new system supports member-group only content that committees may use for discussion or to store work products
- The new system has a robust member Emailing capability
- The new system supports most of our member service policies including last quarter free when joining in March to May.
- The new system will let us carry credit balances in lieu of refund vouchers.
- The new system has more flexible payment options.
- The new system complies with the EU data privacy rules and user opts-in rule. You control your visibility to our members and the Emails you receive
- The new system sends renewal reminders.
- The new system sends class reminders.
Fall registration opens online on September 10, 2018. Catalogs were mailed on Thursday, August 30 and are beginning to arrive. If you did not receive the fall mailings, you may use the links below to download the fall mailing.
The Longwood Gardens trip is nearly full. Call the office to confirm availability of a place.
The summer registration mailing went to the post office on Friday May 25 and should arrive soon. Those not receiving a registration can retrieve the mailing from our Current Schedule page.
Returning members are invited to renew their memberships and register for summer classes online. Instructions appear on the home page.
On June 11 ODUILR begins offering online membership renewal and registration with credit card payment to its members. Links on our home page sequence returning members through the process of activating their online account, renewing their memberships, and registering for the summer quarter’s classes. In the future ODUILR will offer online new memberships and online registration for social events and trips.
The newsletter is at the link below for downloading or viewing. Thanks to Carolyn Schmick who edited and typeset this issue while performing the president’s duties.
2018 Summer Newsletter
Beginning in May, First Friday (Dog) Walk has a new home, Bayville Farms Park in Virginia Beach. This venue has a number of advantages relative to Shore Drive venue.
- It’s a city park with a city park’s parking lot.
- It’s nearer to most of our members
- It has benches!, rest rooms, and water fountains!
- It has that most important parks amenity in the South, shade!
- There are waste bins!
- It is near the Shore Drive Taste where adult beverages, sandwiches, and gelato may be enjoyed.
- It has an off-lead dog area available subject to city’s rules
The park has a number of public lawn areas with paths but it also has a nice live oak grove, possibly the largest in the area. A disk golf venue is under the live oaks and the area is relatively free of trip hazards making it a nice place to walk and visit with friends.
As before, we meet at 10:00 AM and set out around 10:10 AM. Meet at the tennis courts. There is a car park at the courts and also benches.
In addition to offering mild exercise, the gathering is an opportunity to visit with fellow ILR members and to meet a greyhound or three. After walk, Taste, where we can share a snack with friends, is just a few minutes away. Taste has a shaded outdoor eating area that is dog friendly. Order inside and eat outside with your pups. Visit the farm market for fresh vegetables in season.
ILR is looking for a volunteer to maintain our Google Photos archives and create photo albums to be shown on the website. The job provides an oduilr.org Email address and Google Apps account.
Our Spring 2018 newsletter is in the mail. Your copy should arrive soon. If you have not received it, you may also download it from the website.
2018 Spring ILR Newsletter
ILR mailed the 2018 spring quarter program mailing on March 2, 2018. Members are beginning to receive their mailing. The mailing contained the following documents.
New members joining ILR during March, April, and May continue to pay the $15 membership fee. Beginning in June, the membership fee increases to $20 to cover ODU parking pass issue and the membership management software we lease yearly. Membership forms will be updated in early April.
The assistant webmaster maintains the club website’s WordPress content management system and domain registration. This role works with the following service providers
- Our domain registrar
- Our domain name service provider
- Our hosting company’s revision control system
- WordPress plugin management
- Google Analytics results reviews
- Website broken link checks
This role requires system integration skills but little to no development skill beyond understanding basic distributed revision management system workflow. Most interactions occur in our hosting service site dashboard. No knowledge of WordPress development is needed.